a baptist perspective

 

About Me


Jason Sampler
New Orleans, Louisiana

My Education

B.A. History Education, SWOSU
M.A. Theology, NOBTS
Th.M. Theology, NOBTS

Most Popular Posts

IMB Trustee Contact Info
IMB Trustees and My Beef
And Behind Door Number Two...

Sites I Visit

Edgewater Baptist Church
New Orleans Seminary
Dip2000
Seinfeld Scripts
Pearls Before Swine

SBC Issues

Wade Burleson
Marty Duren
Art Rogers
Villa Rica
Micah Fries
Rick Thompson
Missional Baptist
Dorcas Hawker
Wes Kenney
Tim Sweatman

Friends

David Platt
D.R. (Daniel Randle)
Steve McCoy
Kevin Bussey
Joe Kennedy
Joe Thorn
Joe McKeever
Kiki Cherry
Cynthia Mathis
Panis Circenses
 

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Lesson in Redemption

As I was driving from state to state over the Christmas holiday, I was listening to the Bible on CD. I picked out one of the Genesis cd's and listened to the last half of the book. When I got to chapter 38, I was reminded of an interesting story. Judah, the fourth son of Jacob/Israel, leaves his father's house to find a wife. He marries and has three sons. The firstborn marries a woman named Tamar, but the Lord considers him evil and kills him. Judah instructs his second son to fulfill the leverite marriage code by impregnating Tamar for his older brother's sake. When the second son 'fails' in his duty, the Lord strikes him down as well.

Judah, having lost two sons, instructs his daughter-in-law to return to her home as a widow and wait until his third son is old enough to marry, and then he will send for her. After waiting (although the text does not say explicitly) a long period, Tamar gets tired of being childless. She changes her appearance and disguises herself as a city prostitute. When Judah comes to town, she entices him and he sleeps with her. He has no money to pay her, but offers her his ring and staff as a guarantee that payment will come. Months pass and Judah hears that Tamar is pregnant. He calls her a harlot and demands she be burned.

When she appears before Judah, she presents the ring and staff and declares that they belong to the father of her child. Judah recongnizes them and claims she is more righteous than he is, for he failed to give his third son to her. She eventually gives birth to twins, Perez and Zerah, and the chapter ends.

When I was listening to the story, I didn't give it much thought. My initial reaction was that she had sinned in her deception and adultery with Judah. I kept driving down the road as the cd progressed to chapter 39. Then, a few days ago, I was reading everyone's favorite NT passage, Matthew 1, the genealogy of the Messiah. I noticed that the story of Judah and Tamar were part of the lineage. That caused me to dwell on the story even more.

I must confess, I've done only a little reading of Matthean commentaries on this issue and no reading in Genesis commentaries (hence, I now reserve the right to change my opinion about what I am about to write, based on future research). However, I have given this story much thought in recent days. The more I consider it, the more I believe Tamar was not the one at fault in this story. She had a right to bear a child, and it was Judah's responsibility to provide his daughter-in-law with another husband to produce an heir for his first son. By fearing his third son would meet the same end as his first two sons, Judah withheld giving his third son to Tamar (Gen 38.11). Although her method was not what we would consider ethical, she procured a stable future for herself by becoming pregnant (that is, a widow w/o a son in those days had no hope for economic security). Judah was the one at fault, by not fulfilling his duty for his first son.
What does this have to do with redemption? The more I consider God's sovereignty, the more I am convinced that there are more occasions than we are aware of where He redeems our bad choices. This is the case with Judah. His sin (in failing to compose a leverite marriage and in sleeping with a 'temple prostitute') produced Perez, who was one of many in Jesus' genealogy. We always hear of Jesus being from the Tribe of Judah, but we often forget of the circumstances of the relationship between Judah and Tamar.

It has happened to me before. When I was in open rebellion towards God about seven years ago, He orchestrated my circumstances so that while living in Nebraska I would meet a person that would influence my decision and bring me to New Orleans for seminary. Meeting this person in Nebraska allowed me to get my first year of tuition paid for; otherwise, I would never have been able to pay for the tuition. God worked through my sinful rebellion and brought about a 'chance' encounter that turned out for my good.

Now, as I live in Ft. Worth due to Katrina and begin to worry about where I should live or what I will do, part of me is scared to make the wrong decision. However, I trust God's sovereignty to guide my steps and, if necessary, even to redeem my sinful choices. I think that is what He did with Judah in Genesis 38 and I know that is what He did for me in 1999. I am grateful for a God that turns our mistakes into blessings.

posted by Jason Sampler at 5:23 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger blaize said...

Nice blog bro. I stumbled across it through a series of links. Good stuff! I will definitely be linking you on my site.

10:10 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Bart said...

Although I like to quibble with your interpretations from time to time (a certain Ph.D. seminar comes to mind), I'll gladly concur with you on the greater sin of Judah in this case. In fact, I recently taught on the genealogy in Matthew and highlighted this aspect of the story. In particular, I was interested how the most popular figures in this text (Abraham, Jacob, Judah, David, and Solomon) had noticeable and sometimes extreme character flaws and failures. Surely He has come to save His people from their sins.

Well done.

10:30 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger D.R. said...

Ah, so true here my young Calvinist padawan learner. God does work so well through our sin. He did so with me while in New Orleans, and afterward in bringing me to the place where I met the woman who was to become my wife. The same holds true for her as well.

While I often despise "Country Music Theology", I think that song, "God Blessed the Broken Road . . . That Led Me Straight to You" makes a lot of sense not just in relationships, but in life in general. God blesses that broken road that leads us straight to Him and His plan. And in that we can be confident. Another great post -- keep it up.

1:14 PM, January 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill Albritton says: very thought provoking....it is good to read that you ar eopen to whatever God wants you to do....i am most likely heading back to new orleans unless God tells me otherwise....have a great day....

6:54 AM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Gordon Cloud said...

Exellent point brother. As one studies the diversity of the genealogy in Matthew, we can truly see that Jesus is come to be the Savior of all mankind.

9:11 AM, January 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Current Reading


A Treatise on Church Order by John L. Dagg


Christian Doctrine by W. T. Conner


Future Reading


The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today (Revised Edition) by Wayne Grudem


Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14 by D. A. Carson

Previous Posts

My Thoughts During Christmas
Burleson Prepares for Battle
Psalm 46 and Me
Jesus, Santa, and . . . Paris???
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow
Encourage Dr. Rankin
Closed on Christmas???
The IMB and Baptism

Disclaimer

The views presented on this blog do not represent the opinions or positions of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, the SBC, any local, or state Baptist association, or of Edgewater Baptist Church. The views represented here are solely the personal views of the author. Also, it should be made public that I am a rabid University of Oklahoma sports fan . . . BOOMER SOONER!

 

iustitiafide [at] gmail [dot] com | all rights reserved