a baptist perspective

 

About Me


Jason Sampler
New Orleans, Louisiana

My Education

B.A. History Education, SWOSU
M.A. Theology, NOBTS
Th.M. Theology, NOBTS

Most Popular Posts

IMB Trustee Contact Info
IMB Trustees and My Beef
And Behind Door Number Two...

Sites I Visit

Edgewater Baptist Church
New Orleans Seminary
Dip2000
Seinfeld Scripts
Pearls Before Swine

SBC Issues

Wade Burleson
Marty Duren
Art Rogers
Villa Rica
Micah Fries
Rick Thompson
Missional Baptist
Dorcas Hawker
Wes Kenney
Tim Sweatman

Friends

David Platt
D.R. (Daniel Randle)
Steve McCoy
Kevin Bussey
Joe Kennedy
Joe Thorn
Joe McKeever
Kiki Cherry
Cynthia Mathis
Panis Circenses
 

Friday, January 27, 2006

On the road again

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks. On Saturday, I'm heading for OK, where I will be helping with the BGCO State Evangelism Conference. My mentor is heading it up and I'm going up to assist him (read: be his slave). I'll have a chance to see some old friends and hopefully meet some new ones.

On Wednesday, I'm off to Atlanta for the second annual
Greer-Heard Point-Counterpoint Forum. This year's topic is Intelligent Design. To me, it's not as exciting as last year's topic, a debate on the resurrection between Tom Wright and John Dominic Crossen, but it's a good excuse to allow me to go to Atlanta, where many of my NOBTS friends fled in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. If nothing else, I'll have a chance to see some old friends that I've not seen since the hurricane.

Then, I'm heading to Kentucky to visit some friends. My friend Blake is pastor of a church in Lexington. He and Rachel have been some of my best friends since I began seminary over 5 years ago. We evacuated the Gulf Coast together and sat on the same couch and watched as New Orleans flooded. A jot to the west a bit places me in Frankfort, KY, where my best friend lives. Kelly was my first roommate in seminary and we've been close ever since. He corrects my grammar and I teach him about sports (as if he cares!). Because his cat will bother my allergies (stupid cat), after a few days I'll slide further west to Louisville to visit my younger brother, who starts his first year of seminary at SBTS (though not without many, many attempts to get him to come to NOBTS; oh well). After some time hanging with friends and family in KY, I've got one more stop to make.

My fourth stop is New Orleans. Ah, the Big Easy. I never realized how much I liked it until I had to leave. I've been back once since Katrina, to walk through my apartment and take some pictures. That was all I could do as it was a first floor apartment that was completely destroyed. I'll be in New Orleans for the weekend of Feb. 12, when
my church has it's first Sunday worship service since the hurricane. A small group has been meeting in a home on Saturday evenings for the last few months, but our new pastor will preach for the first time on that Sunday. I'm not missing it for the world. Someone donated a tent and we will set up in the parking lot. Worshipping outside in New Orleans will be great in February; it won't 'smell' so good come July! But for now, I'm more than grateful. I'll spend a few days visiting my friends and driving around town, remembering good times and seeing the progress (or lackthereof) of the rebuilding effort. I'm still waiting to hear from FEMA about getting my own trailer so I can move back to New Orleans permanently; I just keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and . . .

What's the point of all of this? Two things. First, this gives some of you who live in these areas a general guide to my timeline. It will be a three-week road trip. Why not? What else do I have to do? Second, I'm quite positive I will have limited internet access at best. This means little or no posting for a while, as well as minimal responses to comments made. I'll try my best to respond occasionally, but no frequency can be guaranteed.

Blessings,
Jason

posted by Jason Sampler at 10:05 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger D.R. said...

Hey, how come I didn't get a by-name mention? After all I was the roomate in Seminary that ticked you off the most. Or at least incited Kelly to do my bidding for me (insert evil laugh here). Hey is there any way you could get me the audio to that Greer-Heard thingamabob. I likes that 'teligent D-zine stuff.

11:04 AM, January 28, 2006  
Blogger joe kennedy said...

DR, they're gonna sell it on greer-heard.com... or is it free mp3 download? Eh, you'll figure it out if they ask you to pull out the wallet.

7:36 PM, January 28, 2006  
Blogger Jason Sampler said...

D.R.

I actually told that story just the other day. Sorry for the failure to mention you by name, the man I once counted spraying himself 23 times with cologne (19 on the body and 4 on the head)!!!! What stories.

11:32 PM, January 28, 2006  
Blogger D.R. said...

Last time you told that lie about me and cologne it was 17x overall. And you swore you counted. Stick with the church history -- math isn't your subject.

8:42 PM, January 29, 2006  
Blogger Jason Bengs said...

Jason,
I see no matter where you are you tell great fishing stories. I do want to hear about what you glean from the intelligent design debate, though in my mind there is too much compromise with scripture to truly consider it valid.

8:12 PM, February 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Current Reading


A Treatise on Church Order by John L. Dagg


Christian Doctrine by W. T. Conner


Future Reading


The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today (Revised Edition) by Wayne Grudem


Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14 by D. A. Carson

Previous Posts

And Behind Door Number Two . . .
Tragedy Begets Tragedy
Humor in the Scriptures [Updated]
Taking a Break
IMB Trustees and My Beef
More Thoughts on Contacting Trustees
Burleson Being Voted Out
IMB Trustee Contact Info
A Lesson in Redemption
My Thoughts During Christmas

Disclaimer

The views presented on this blog do not represent the opinions or positions of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, the SBC, any local, or state Baptist association, or of Edgewater Baptist Church. The views represented here are solely the personal views of the author. Also, it should be made public that I am a rabid University of Oklahoma sports fan . . . BOOMER SOONER!

 

iustitiafide [at] gmail [dot] com | all rights reserved