a baptist perspective

 

About Me


Jason Sampler
New Orleans, Louisiana

My Education

B.A. History Education, SWOSU
M.A. Theology, NOBTS
Th.M. Theology, NOBTS

Most Popular Posts

IMB Trustee Contact Info
IMB Trustees and My Beef
And Behind Door Number Two...

Sites I Visit

Edgewater Baptist Church
New Orleans Seminary
Dip2000
Seinfeld Scripts
Pearls Before Swine

SBC Issues

Wade Burleson
Marty Duren
Art Rogers
Villa Rica
Micah Fries
Rick Thompson
Missional Baptist
Dorcas Hawker
Wes Kenney
Tim Sweatman

Friends

David Platt
D.R. (Daniel Randle)
Steve McCoy
Kevin Bussey
Joe Kennedy
Joe Thorn
Joe McKeever
Kiki Cherry
Cynthia Mathis
Panis Circenses
 

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me

Yesterday was my birthday. I turned 30. I tried not to make a big deal of it. However, some people found out and told others. I got calls from family and friends. I guess it was a good day, though I didn't have a birthday cake or any presents (which is fine by me; well, maybe I'm not so pleased about no cake!!!) .

I've been traveling for the last week and was able to have lunch yesterday with a really good friend of mine, and then had dinner with my best friend. Currently I'm in Kentucky and I'll be here for a few more days. On Friday, I'm heading to New Orleans. I'll be glad to be back in the city, though I am quite disappointed in the lack of progress in the city (but that's another story).

As yesterday came and went, I really didn't have any deep thoughts about turning 30. I'm not where I thought I would be, but in some respects I'm much farther along than I ever expected. I'm on track to finish my PhD before my 33 birthday. I continue to branch out into various areas of reading. I may have more 'adopted' nieces and nephews than anyone I know (that is, I'm an "uncle" to all the children of my friends). This is good because it means I can play with them, but then leave before the diaper needs changing!!!!

I suspect when life settles back to normal when I am able to end my 'evacuee' status and move back to New Orleans sometime in the next few weeks, I'll have more time to digest the meaning of turning 30. Until then, I just keep on reading for my dissertation, formulating my thoughts on baptism and the Lord's Supper, and moderately staying in touch with all my friends.

posted by Jason Sampler at 12:24 PM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jason, Good to hear your trip is going well. Happy Birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday, dear Jason...Happy Birthday to you!! I've been checking your site for updates, and miss talkin to you. Be safe and have a great time.

the jedi lover

1:15 PM, February 07, 2006  
Blogger joe kennedy said...

I'm just disappointed I didn't know.

Happy birthday. You're in good company. Just not mine.

4:53 PM, February 07, 2006  
Anonymous jeff said...

Happy 30th man. It was good to see you at Greer-Heard.

6:58 AM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger Jason Bengs said...

Samp Daddy,
Happy 30th. I am just a few weeks away. I am looking forward to your updates from N.O. Keep us informed.
Bengs

10:00 AM, February 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Current Reading


A Treatise on Church Order by John L. Dagg


Christian Doctrine by W. T. Conner


Future Reading


The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today (Revised Edition) by Wayne Grudem


Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14 by D. A. Carson

Previous Posts

Some wisdom from E. C. Dargan
A great prank
On the road again
And Behind Door Number Two . . .
Tragedy Begets Tragedy
Humor in the Scriptures [Updated]
Taking a Break
IMB Trustees and My Beef
More Thoughts on Contacting Trustees
Burleson Being Voted Out

Disclaimer

The views presented on this blog do not represent the opinions or positions of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, the SBC, any local, or state Baptist association, or of Edgewater Baptist Church. The views represented here are solely the personal views of the author. Also, it should be made public that I am a rabid University of Oklahoma sports fan . . . BOOMER SOONER!

 

iustitiafide [at] gmail [dot] com | all rights reserved