a baptist perspective

 

About Me


Jason Sampler
New Orleans, Louisiana

My Education

B.A. History Education, SWOSU
M.A. Theology, NOBTS
Th.M. Theology, NOBTS

Most Popular Posts

IMB Trustee Contact Info
IMB Trustees and My Beef
And Behind Door Number Two...

Sites I Visit

Edgewater Baptist Church
New Orleans Seminary
Dip2000
Seinfeld Scripts
Pearls Before Swine

SBC Issues

Wade Burleson
Marty Duren
Art Rogers
Villa Rica
Micah Fries
Rick Thompson
Missional Baptist
Dorcas Hawker
Wes Kenney
Tim Sweatman

Friends

David Platt
D.R. (Daniel Randle)
Steve McCoy
Kevin Bussey
Joe Kennedy
Joe Thorn
Joe McKeever
Kiki Cherry
Cynthia Mathis
Panis Circenses
 

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I've Been Tagged

Well, in the 2.5 weeks that I was traveling, I got 'tagged' by multiple bloggers. I've only now gottent the chance to respond, so here goes:

Four Jobs I've Had: (I've had way more than 4 jobs, but I'll list my four favorites, in no particular order)
School bus driver (while an undergrad)
Pastoral Intern/Building and Grounds Intern (at Edgewater Baptist Church as a PhD student)
Interlibrary Loan worker at NOBTS Library (had a great boss, and loved the job)
Adjunct instructor at NOBTS

Four Movies I Can Watch Over and Over:
Braveheart
Tombstone
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Sandlot

Four Shows I Like To Watch: (I don't watch much TV, but these are my favorites)
Seinfeld, of course
Law and Order (all of them)
PTI (man, I wish I had cable for this one)
Friends

Four Goals For This Year:
Move Back to New Orleans
Pass my Oral Exams for PhD
Help rebuild houses/lives in the Gentilly neighborhood of New Orleans
Meet my wife (doubt this will happen, but it can't hurt to make it a goal, right???)

Four Places I've Lived: (this would be easier if it was "Four Places I Haven't Lived"; I will put my four favorite places)
New Orleans, LA
Weatherford, OK
Blair, OK
Monument, CO

Four Foods That I Like:
Red Beans and Rice
My mom's Chicken Fried Steak
Chimichanga's
Thai food

Four Sites I Visit Everyday:
ESPN.com
CNN.com
SBC Outpost
Missional Baptist Blog

Four Places I've Been On Vacation (or Mission):
Bangkok, Thailand (missions)
Wittenberg, Germany (also went to Berlin, Zurich, and Geneva on the same trip; was educational in nature)
Washington, D.C. (only spent one night, but it was great)
Cooperstown, NY (Baseball Hall of Fame)

Four Places I'd Rather Be Right Now: (anywhere but Texas!!!)
New Orleans, LA
Washington, D.C.
Charlottesville, VA
The Northeast (NY, Boston, Philly, etc.)

Four Things I Want To Do Before I Die:
Get married
Finish my dissertation
Get a full-time, 'real' job
Get married

Four People I'm Tagging:
I'm opting out of this one; sorry, but I'm not much for continuing a chain thing. Does this mean I am breaking the chain and I won't receive $100 or that my prayers won't be answered???

posted by Jason Sampler at 9:22 AM

7 Comments:

Blogger joe kennedy said...

do not pass go. do not collect $100. go directly to jail.

10:21 AM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger Rick said...

actually, I think it just means that you don't love Jesus. :)

11:18 AM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger Tim Sweatman said...

Because you have broken the chain, you will NOT meet your wife this year. Of course, with everything that's going on in your life right now, do you REALLY think you have time for a woman?

4:08 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Jason Sampler said...

Tim,

Now that's a good one. I laughed out loud. And no, I don't "have the time" but I guarantee I would make the time, just like all married men do.

6:40 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Jason,

As a recovering Seinfeld addict, I'd like to ask you a few questions. (Sit heir in die chair vhile I turn on zie spotleitz.)

1. What is the relationship between the writers/cast/producers of Seinfeld and Psalm 1:1 ?

2. What is the relationship between the material in Seinfeld and Philippians 4:8?

3. Does having wonderful commentary on church matters and having links to Seinfeld scripts on the same blog agree with the principle expressed in 2 Corinthians 6:14-18?

I ask these questions because these are the relationships that God used to jar me loose from Seinfeld and Letterman.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

2:49 PM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger Jason Sampler said...

Jeff,

Thanks for the comment. I honestly appreciate where you are coming from. In addition, I honestly admit I have a deep love for Seinfeld. However, as part of my appreciation for the humor of Seinfeld, I can seperate the good from the bad. There are episodes that, when they air, I refuse to watch. However, some of the greatest comedy in my generation is done on that show. In fact, just today I was quoting Seinfeld lines with a friend via MSN Messenger (the episode was "The Roaster", some classic lines in that one. "You wouldn't eat broccoli if it was deep-fried in chocolate sauce").

I am challenged by your questions, and I do not ride roughshod over them with no concern. I am grateful that one brother would share his passion for sanctification with another. I wholly believe that is your intent. My concern, though, is to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I believe I can honestly appreciate the humor and relationships that the show provides while, at the exact same time, be repulsed by some of the values and explicit teachings they put forth.

If you want to discuss this in greater detail, I'd be more than honored (though I would rather do it by email; it's easier).

Thanks for stopping by my blog and congrats on the birth of your latest (eighth, I think) child.

3:11 PM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger Dorcas said...

Jason -

I had no idea you were mormon. Good idea about getting that real job before marrying your second wife though.

11:04 AM, February 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Current Reading


A Treatise on Church Order by John L. Dagg


Christian Doctrine by W. T. Conner


Future Reading


The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today (Revised Edition) by Wayne Grudem


Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14 by D. A. Carson

Previous Posts

A response to Drs. York and Caner, and a word from...
Happy Birthday to Me
Some wisdom from E. C. Dargan
A great prank
On the road again
And Behind Door Number Two . . .
Tragedy Begets Tragedy
Humor in the Scriptures [Updated]
Taking a Break
IMB Trustees and My Beef

Disclaimer

The views presented on this blog do not represent the opinions or positions of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, the SBC, any local, or state Baptist association, or of Edgewater Baptist Church. The views represented here are solely the personal views of the author. Also, it should be made public that I am a rabid University of Oklahoma sports fan . . . BOOMER SOONER!

 

iustitiafide [at] gmail [dot] com | all rights reserved