a baptist perspective

 

About Me


Jason Sampler
New Orleans, Louisiana

My Education

B.A. History Education, SWOSU
M.A. Theology, NOBTS
Th.M. Theology, NOBTS

Most Popular Posts

IMB Trustee Contact Info
IMB Trustees and My Beef
And Behind Door Number Two...

Sites I Visit

Edgewater Baptist Church
New Orleans Seminary
Dip2000
Seinfeld Scripts
Pearls Before Swine

SBC Issues

Wade Burleson
Marty Duren
Art Rogers
Villa Rica
Micah Fries
Rick Thompson
Missional Baptist
Dorcas Hawker
Wes Kenney
Tim Sweatman

Friends

David Platt
D.R. (Daniel Randle)
Steve McCoy
Kevin Bussey
Joe Kennedy
Joe Thorn
Joe McKeever
Kiki Cherry
Cynthia Mathis
Panis Circenses
 

Saturday, March 04, 2006

News from the Crescent City

Well, I need to begin by apologizing for the long absence since I last posted. Life is totally different in New Orleans. I arrived on Monday and, for a welcome back present, I was in a wreck. Unfortunately, it was my fault. I was pulling into Metairie on I-10 and a guy stopped in front of me. I slammed on my brakes but still rear-ended him. No injuries and minimal damage to his vehicle, but a wreck nonetheless.

I slept on my pastor's couch Monday and Tuesday evening and on a friend's couch Wednesday night. My FEMA trailer was set up and had water and electricity, but I couldn't get my key. Finally, on Thursday I received a call saying that my trailer was open. I've been sleeping there ever since. It's not pretty, but it's my home for now. I'm always on the go, however. I have been helping coordinate the mass of college students that are coming to New Orleans to help gut out houses in the month of March. We are having over 100 college students work with our church just this week. We are hopeful to gut out 40 houses this week, and hopefully to keep up that pace for the entire month (NOTE TO READERS: In a previous post, I erroneously guestimated that my church would gut 1000 houses in March. Well, let's just say I was using that 'fuzzy' math. The numbers will be more like 120-140. It is no understatement to say I got quite a ribbing from my friends here in New Orleans who 'called my bluff' on the 1000 homes. They got quite a laugh out of it).

If you, your church, your local association, or just a bunch of people would like to send a team down to help, we would provide housing and food. We are looking for as many people as possible to touch lives in our community. These people are so grateful for any help. I found out today that each home we gut out (that is, ripping out sheetrock, tile, tubs, etc) to the studs saves the homeowner at least $5000. Folks, that is tangible service to many who can't afford to pay for such labor. I can't stress enough how open people are to being loved on during this time. I implore you to gather together a group, give up a week's worth of work, and come serve others in Jesus' name. We'll take you in March, April, May, June, July, whenever. We just desperately need as many volunteers as possible. There are no skills required. We will show you how to gut a house and you should already know how to love on people. It's a simple, but effective ministry.

Finally, I must confess that blogging will be taking a back seat for awhile. The closest place I can get internet service is a 15 minute drive and between church work and school work, I have little time for 'extra-curricular' activities. I'll be taking most of March off, just because of the sheer volume of college students coming to New Orleans. I hope to pick back up in April.

Please pray about coming to New Orleans to help gut out homes. Pray about how you can serve. Please pray for Edgewater Baptist Church as we seek to minister in the Gentilly area (if you want to learn about our area of New Orleans, go to
Google Maps and type in 70122 and you will see where Gentilly is). Pray that people respond to tangible love expressed through manual labor, food distribution, and worship services. Pray that God would continue to raise up churches willing to restructure their entire budgets to help support our ministry in this city. Pray that God's people would effectively minister in a city who's nickname is "the place that care forgot about."

Blessings,

Jason Sampler


posted by Jason Sampler at 5:31 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger art rogers said...

We're praying for you, Jason.

7:04 AM, March 06, 2006  
Anonymous Dave Woodbury said...

You mentioned welcoming teams to come and help. Do volunteers have to be over 18. We've got several youth and adults who might be able to come during the summer. Email me at SuprDaviss@aol.com

1:21 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger cks said...

Jason--

Do you have, for lack of a better turn of phrase, a "press packet"?

I know that sounds crass. Don't mean it to. If not, would like me to make a PDF version of one to send to churches. I'll just need high-res pics and text.

I'd like to give one to my church's staff and various leaders in the church.

Call me.

10:56 AM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger joe kennedy said...

yeah seriously, jason, it's a good thing to have.

5:52 PM, March 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Current Reading


A Treatise on Church Order by John L. Dagg


Christian Doctrine by W. T. Conner


Future Reading


The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today (Revised Edition) by Wayne Grudem


Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14 by D. A. Carson

Previous Posts

I'm Back, Baby!
Integrity
A Lesson on the Kingdom
Second Annual Younger Leaders Meeting
"Greatness Personified"
Recent Posts Worth Reading
Finally Back Home
I've Been Tagged
A response to Drs. York and Caner, and a word from...
Happy Birthday to Me

Disclaimer

The views presented on this blog do not represent the opinions or positions of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, the SBC, any local, or state Baptist association, or of Edgewater Baptist Church. The views represented here are solely the personal views of the author. Also, it should be made public that I am a rabid University of Oklahoma sports fan . . . BOOMER SOONER!

 

iustitiafide [at] gmail [dot] com | all rights reserved