a baptist perspective

 

About Me


Jason Sampler
New Orleans, Louisiana

My Education

B.A. History Education, SWOSU
M.A. Theology, NOBTS
Th.M. Theology, NOBTS

Most Popular Posts

IMB Trustee Contact Info
IMB Trustees and My Beef
And Behind Door Number Two...

Sites I Visit

Edgewater Baptist Church
New Orleans Seminary
Dip2000
Seinfeld Scripts
Pearls Before Swine

SBC Issues

Wade Burleson
Marty Duren
Art Rogers
Villa Rica
Micah Fries
Rick Thompson
Missional Baptist
Dorcas Hawker
Wes Kenney
Tim Sweatman

Friends

David Platt
D.R. (Daniel Randle)
Steve McCoy
Kevin Bussey
Joe Kennedy
Joe Thorn
Joe McKeever
Kiki Cherry
Cynthia Mathis
Panis Circenses
 

Friday, May 26, 2006

My House is Condemned???

Either my FEMA trailer has been condemned by the mayor of New Orleans or I was vandalized. Based on today's post by Kevin Bussey, I'm guessing the answer is the latter. Kevin, pastor of Durham Memorial Baptist Church in Charolette, NC, brought a team of 9 men down to New Orleans this week to help in our community. Yesterday he and his guys rolled my trailer with toilet paper; today they vandalized my home with "Caution" tape and put a sign in my front yard!





They have been a great group, in spite of the constant school-boy pranks :). They originally came down to gut out houses in our community. On the first day, they were blown away by the tremedous devestation. At lunch that day, one guy said it was so difficult he couldn't discuss it amongst us or he would start crying. That afternoon the group came to our church to help us finish hanging sheetrock. I guess they spent a lot of time thinking up pranks to pull because it's taken them 3.5 days to finish sheetrocking the church! What a bunch of slow-pokes!

Tonight we are going to celebrate their flexibility. We are going out to eat at one of the great New Orleans resteraunts, New Orleans Food and Spirits. It's close to the lake and they have the best crawfish and corn soup I've ever eaten! Thanks so much to the NC group for all of your efforts.

[Update: we went to dinner before I could finish the post. I'm back from the restaraunt and I only have one thing to say. The flooding caused by Hurricane Katrina messed up most of New Orleans, but the crawfish and corn soup at Food and Spirits tastes as great as ever!!!]

On a side note, let me say something about my thoughts on blogging and the SBC. Some have cautioned me about the contents of my blog, warning me that what I put in print might cost me later. There is much wisdom in such advice. There is much about blogging for which I am still very naive. I didn't even know what a blog was until November. Nevertheless, I recklessly entered the blogosphere in November and have met some very wonderful men and women over these last seven months. Let me make something very clear: As a direct result of my blogging, there are at least 3 churches that have made commitments to come serve in New Orleans this summer, specifically through
Edgewater Baptist Church. If those three churches are impacted by what they see in our neighborhoods and go back to recruit other churches, then I will be more than pleased with the impact of this blog. The SBC is responding to the need in New Orleans but it is still not enough. We need more help to meet the needs of our community. Won't you inquire about bringing a group to New Orleans?

posted by Jason Sampler at 4:00 PM

9 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Jason,

You are awesome! You, Kevin, Dr. and Mrs. Ray and everyone were great! We are changed because of ministering with Edgewater. We will never forget what God is doing in Gentilly! Thanks again!

8:05 PM, May 26, 2006  
Blogger D.R. said...

Hopefully, I am bringing a group down there this summer. But trust me when I say that it's inspite of you...uh...I mean, your blog. So you going to Greensboro now?

9:09 PM, May 26, 2006  
Blogger joe kennedy said...

Jason, I think maybe I'll just move there. How's that?

10:02 PM, May 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I died laughing at the picture of the sign. Its great to see some people having fun while participating in the Kingdom's work. Love your attitude about it, Jason. Keep up the good work down there in N.O.
IMB M in South Asia

3:09 AM, May 28, 2006  
Anonymous Alan Cross said...

Jason,

Our church went to the MS Gulf Coast and ended up in Waveland, where there is still incredible need (pathfindermission.org). We participated in a mission trip to New Orleans in 2001 with Edgewater Baptist and you guys have been in my prayers ever since. I would love to send a team to New Orleans, but we have our hands full. I am with you in spirit, though, as New Orleans is my birthplace and I grew up in Picayune right up the road. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that others were with you, even if we didn't send teams your way. Keep up what you are doing. In many ways, I wish I was with you.

7:27 PM, May 28, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

8:16 AM, May 29, 2006  
Blogger Kiki Cherry said...

Ha,ha!!!! Way to go Kevin.

Jason, you know you deserved that. : )

6:38 AM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Jason Bengs said...

Did this happen while you were away, or did you sleep through it like everything else. I thought this might be like the time you slept while someone tattooed Braves across your chest and gave you a manicure. I hope all is well, keep up the kingdom work.

8:32 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Alvin Reid alvinreid.com said...

Hey Jason:
We have sent hundreds of students on several trips down there and the stories have been amazing. Just this last week a group from our epicenter ministry at church went. I am excited to hear again and again how God is still active in the Big Easy. Your work is vital and encouraging.

6:45 AM, July 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Current Reading


A Treatise on Church Order by John L. Dagg


Christian Doctrine by W. T. Conner


Future Reading


The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today (Revised Edition) by Wayne Grudem


Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14 by D. A. Carson

Previous Posts

No Respecter of Age
Thoughts on Theological Disagreement from a "Young...
The SBC, Confessions, and the IMB Trustees
Contemplating Hell By Contemplating the Cross
Some Pics of Our Work in New Orleans
Another New Orleans Update
Update from New Orleans
News from the Crescent City
I'm Back, Baby!
Integrity

Disclaimer

The views presented on this blog do not represent the opinions or positions of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, the SBC, any local, or state Baptist association, or of Edgewater Baptist Church. The views represented here are solely the personal views of the author. Also, it should be made public that I am a rabid University of Oklahoma sports fan . . . BOOMER SOONER!

 

iustitiafide [at] gmail [dot] com | all rights reserved