a baptist perspective

 

About Me


Jason Sampler
New Orleans, Louisiana

My Education

B.A. History Education, SWOSU
M.A. Theology, NOBTS
Th.M. Theology, NOBTS

Most Popular Posts

IMB Trustee Contact Info
IMB Trustees and My Beef
And Behind Door Number Two...

Sites I Visit

Edgewater Baptist Church
New Orleans Seminary
Dip2000
Seinfeld Scripts
Pearls Before Swine

SBC Issues

Wade Burleson
Marty Duren
Art Rogers
Villa Rica
Micah Fries
Rick Thompson
Missional Baptist
Dorcas Hawker
Wes Kenney
Tim Sweatman

Friends

David Platt
D.R. (Daniel Randle)
Steve McCoy
Kevin Bussey
Joe Kennedy
Joe Thorn
Joe McKeever
Kiki Cherry
Cynthia Mathis
Panis Circenses
 

Saturday, May 06, 2006

No Respecter of Age

I had a phone conversation with a lady tonight who is about to turn 76. I had met her long ago through a mutual friend and she emailed me today asking to speak about Memphis. I called her and we exchanged pleasantries. I asked her how she got my email address. Her answer: "I read your blog every day." I almost lost it.

Apparently blogs are no respecter of age. She has served on boards in her state convention in the past and has been an active member of Southern Baptist churches for more than 50 years. She's been around the block a time or two when it comes to polical maneuvering; she worked at a Baptist entity for more than 30 years (that's my educated guess). She told me the last national convention she attended was in 1990 when it was in New Orleans. She asked if I remembered that one. I didn't have the heart to tell her I was only 14 at the time, though I'm sure she'll read this and find out :)

Baptists from all parts of the country, all walks of life, and all ages are surfing the internet to read the stories of the SBC. In my conversation with this lady, she told me she reads everything she can find, from both sides, because she's an intelligent woman who can make up her own mind. It was a good conversation and encouraging to me to know that there are many unknown, unnamed people who honestly care about the status and future of our convention.

posted by Jason Sampler at 10:26 PM

9 Comments:

Blogger TheMDude said...

When this all started, I commented in another blog that it would be interesting to know how many SBs read blogs and used the internet. Someone commented that surely only 5% and that was the young! This older saint has my blessing. Perhaps she can be an agent of change among the delegates in her church?

7:52 AM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Brother Jason,

Recently I met a man who is in his 70s. By the next day at noon, he had read all of both of my blogs, and decided to visit our church.

The man who installed the very first computer in Lubbock, Texas in the 1970s is member of our church. He is almost 70 years old, and uses the internet and computer all the time.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

1:10 PM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

I've been amazed that I have had people in their 70's and older reading my site at church. They talk to me about it all of the time.

Cool story!

8:59 PM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger joe kennedy said...

I get hits from so many neat places. There are so many times I want to openly say, "Hey you, from Eastern European Country, email me. We should talk sometime. I'd LOVE to visit Slovenia or lead a trip to help there sometime." But I can't because I don't want to get that person in trouble. StatCounter may tell me where they're from, but it doesn't tell me who they are or what they're like. I'll say this, though. I've been able to interview some guys this week for that project I'm working on, and I love hearing what's going on from Boston to Reno (with a stop in KC in between). Now THAT is encouraging.

4:54 PM, May 10, 2006  
Blogger Jason Bengs said...

Jason,
It is great to see such an audience for your thoughts. Some of the most savvy people I know are in their 60s & 70s. Some of our most unsavvy (if that can be considered a word) are among the generation that grew up with all the tech. I think with many churches beginning to podcast their sermons many more people will begin to search for other perspectives. Thank you for your efforts. Did you ever think when sitting in class at SWOSU that so many people would want to read/hear your thoughts?

1:03 PM, May 12, 2006  
Blogger LivingDust said...

Brother Jason,

Your new friend speaks TRUTH when she says that the "unknown and unnamed" care about the status and future of the SBC.

I pray that the "unknown and unnamed" will not go "unnoticed" in Greensboro and "unity" breaksout in the SBC.

LivingDust

2:26 PM, May 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jason -

Please forgive the random comment, man - but tonight is the first time I've visited your blog. I was wondering if you could answer me a question (you can email it to me if you prefer not to discuss it on the blog - that's totally understandable): Do you speak in tongues (in private or public)? My email address is jpe777@gmail.com if you prefer to answer privately. Hope your night has been a good one.

Blessings,
J

9:25 PM, May 16, 2006  
Blogger Jason Sampler said...

Anonymous (J),

Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog and peruse my thoughts. To answer your question: No, I do not speak in tongues.

Blessings,
Jason Sampler

2:36 AM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger D.R. said...

Ok, so I am churning out the blogs these days and you haven't posted in a month. Hmmm... Mr. Hypocrite, what do you have to say for yourself now? And you don't even stop by mine. You act like you are actually doing something down there in New Orleans. Please! You're not fooling me.

12:49 PM, May 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Current Reading


A Treatise on Church Order by John L. Dagg


Christian Doctrine by W. T. Conner


Future Reading


The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today (Revised Edition) by Wayne Grudem


Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14 by D. A. Carson

Previous Posts

Thoughts on Theological Disagreement from a "Young...
The SBC, Confessions, and the IMB Trustees
Contemplating Hell By Contemplating the Cross
Some Pics of Our Work in New Orleans
Another New Orleans Update
Update from New Orleans
News from the Crescent City
I'm Back, Baby!
Integrity
A Lesson on the Kingdom

Disclaimer

The views presented on this blog do not represent the opinions or positions of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, the SBC, any local, or state Baptist association, or of Edgewater Baptist Church. The views represented here are solely the personal views of the author. Also, it should be made public that I am a rabid University of Oklahoma sports fan . . . BOOMER SOONER!

 

iustitiafide [at] gmail [dot] com | all rights reserved