a baptist perspective

 

About Me


Jason Sampler
New Orleans, Louisiana

My Education

B.A. History Education, SWOSU
M.A. Theology, NOBTS
Th.M. Theology, NOBTS

Most Popular Posts

IMB Trustee Contact Info
IMB Trustees and My Beef
And Behind Door Number Two...

Sites I Visit

Edgewater Baptist Church
New Orleans Seminary
Dip2000
Seinfeld Scripts
Pearls Before Swine

SBC Issues

Wade Burleson
Marty Duren
Art Rogers
Villa Rica
Micah Fries
Rick Thompson
Missional Baptist
Dorcas Hawker
Wes Kenney
Tim Sweatman

Friends

David Platt
D.R. (Daniel Randle)
Steve McCoy
Kevin Bussey
Joe Kennedy
Joe Thorn
Joe McKeever
Kiki Cherry
Cynthia Mathis
Panis Circenses
 

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Some R & R

Starting this afternoon, I am taking 3 days of well-needed vacation. I've been on staff at Edgewater Baptist Church since March, working with volunteers to gut out houses. Since March, we've had over 600 volunteers and have gutted over 90 houses. In addition, I have spoken with most every one of the home owners we have helped, along with many others we were not able to help. Hearing their stories of loss and uncertainty has worn on me and I'm ready for some time off.

I'm taking a spiritual retreat to a Benedictine monastery called St. Joseph Abbey (True story: when I told my mom that I was going to a monastery, she laughed at me, accused me of lying to her, and asked where I was really going. I told her again and she laughed again and still didn't believe me. It took me three times of telling her before she took me seriously). I will be afforded 3 days of rest, reading, and prayer. One of the things I've noticed about ministry is how easy it is to become spiritually side-tracked. My goal this week, among other things, is to reconnect with the spiritual aspect of Christianity. I am grateful for my education, which has provided me with a greater understanding of the doctrinal aspects of Christian orthodoxy. However, often I have succumbed to relying on my knowledge of Christ instead of my faith in Christ. This should be a much-needed corrective for me.

I am pleased to leave all forms of communication at home. I'm leaving behind my laptop, internet, cell phone, and iPod. It will be God, me, and books (and lots of trees!).

If you feel compelled, pray for a restful few days for me. I leave this afternoon and will return Saturday afternoon. Also, pray for my friend Bart. He leaves this week for a mission trip to Romania. He will be preaching (and is in need of a translator) and ministering to a community.

Blessings and I'll "see" all of you in a few days.

Jason Sampler

posted by Jason Sampler at 6:15 AM

15 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Have a restful time Jason, you deserve it!

8:53 AM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger joe kennedy said...

Last summer I seriously wanted to spend a week in a monastery in Kentucky. Of the silent sort. I just needed some peace, and I was going to be in Kentucky anyway.

Also I needed desperately to get out of New Orleans, not just get away from the world. I thought about it again recently- spending some considerable time isolated from everything for a while.

Power to ya.

10:38 AM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger D.R. said...

Adam and I used to accuse you of being a Catholic...and now you are going to a monastery. I guess we were right all along! No computer, no i-POD, no cell phone, what kind of vow is that "no technology"?

Enjoy your rest...call me when you get back.

6:30 PM, May 31, 2006  
Anonymous purpletigers said...

Good for you! I like your thoughts regarding knowledge of and faith in Christ. Give us a report of the serenity when you return all refreshed. Billie Sharp

10:05 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Lot said...

... oh bru-ther ...

Lots Tusej

3:42 PM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger Shelly Taylor said...

check out my blogspot:
www.bill-n-shellytaylor.blogspot.com

Shelly

8:51 AM, June 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason,
Why haven't you posted in three weeks? Did the r & r help you any? Why didn't you go to convention? Was the very fact that you wrote the Memphis Declaration your final bloggersphere moment? The Memphis gang forgot one component, . . . "We repent of being just as arrogant and triumphant as the other leaders we so hate."

The Blog Police

2:06 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Lot said...

... Jason didn't go to the convention?!? ... BWAHAHAHA!

11:03 PM, July 01, 2006  
Anonymous blaize said...

jason...where are ya bud?

5:45 AM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger joe kennedy said...

jason has left the building.

8:56 PM, July 23, 2006  
Blogger Phil Hoover, Chicago said...

Sounds great...I may have to try that very soon!

Right after the holidays would be a good time for me.

At least I won't go hungry...

2:54 PM, September 12, 2006  
Blogger Dr. Danny Chisholm said...

Jason,

I graduated from NOBTS and attended Edgewater for a while. We ended up over at at Gentilly. We lived in that area too. Hang in there with the rebuilding. Did the BAkery make it? they had great po-boys.

10:43 PM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Micah and Sunny said...

Samp.....are you there?!?!?! I just saw Leslee at church last night and we were discussing the good ole' days on the Road Crew. So sad that we haven't kept in contact. Where in the world are you? How in the world are you? I found this really old blog and am hoping that you get email notification or something when someone leaves a comment.

Hope all is well with you! Micah and Sunny

10:31 PM, September 04, 2008  
Blogger khendricks said...

I thought you might be interested in a collection of Baptist history books from Logos Bible Software. Check it out here:

Broadman & Holman Baptist History Collection (11 Vols.)

4:00 PM, October 20, 2008  
Anonymous Ben said...

May God Give you some needed rest.

9:44 PM, October 16, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Current Reading


A Treatise on Church Order by John L. Dagg


Christian Doctrine by W. T. Conner


Future Reading


The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today (Revised Edition) by Wayne Grudem


Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14 by D. A. Carson

Previous Posts

My House is Condemned???
No Respecter of Age
Thoughts on Theological Disagreement from a "Young...
The SBC, Confessions, and the IMB Trustees
Contemplating Hell By Contemplating the Cross
Some Pics of Our Work in New Orleans
Another New Orleans Update
Update from New Orleans
News from the Crescent City
I'm Back, Baby!

Disclaimer

The views presented on this blog do not represent the opinions or positions of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, the SBC, any local, or state Baptist association, or of Edgewater Baptist Church. The views represented here are solely the personal views of the author. Also, it should be made public that I am a rabid University of Oklahoma sports fan . . . BOOMER SOONER!

 

iustitiafide [at] gmail [dot] com | all rights reserved